Sunday, May 18, 2014

Daycare: Week One-Week Three

Barrett started daycare this week and I cannot fully express the amount of crazy emotions I have had and am still having. We have started him in daycare part time so he will be going two days a week for now. Tuesday was his first day and it was one of the hardest days of my life. I could barely hold back my tears when dropping him off and was full on ugly crying by the time I reached the parking lot. I anticipated this to be hard, but it was WAY harder than I imagined because Barrett was just as upset. It broke my heart leaving him so confused and upset. I called the daycare multiple times and my sister checked on him when she picked up Logan. He was upset for over an hour, but ended up having an okay day. He refused all of his food until late in the afternoon. He only ate a graham cracker and some cheez-its all day! If you know Barrett, then you know how sad this is. This boy lives for food! His teacher was very optimistic and was so sweet when we picked him up. She said he ended up having a really good day and only got upset a few times when looking around the room and realizing mommy wasn't there. They have a curriculum for his age group and she said he walked around the circle of kids and was very observant to everything that was going on. It was very clear that the teachers and helpers pay close attention and really care about all the kids. They were telling me things about my bear that people only know if they really pay attention. I feel a tiny bit better about him being in daycare, but I think I will be crying for a while when I drop him off.

First day of "school". 


His chick is his one lovie he gets to take to school to sleep with. 

This is when we picked him up. I sat in the backseat with him and was a little heartbroken at the circles under his eyes. He only napped for 20 minutes and only when the teacher turned some music on for him. 


UPDATE:
His second day went much better. He cried when I dropped him off, but he had a wonderful day after only five minutes of crying. I missed him like crazy, but the owner and a helper actually called me twice throughout the day just to tell me how great he was doing. Both phone calls almost gave me heart attacks until I realized they were only calling to reassure me. The best part was obviously picking him up. I walked in to him playing with the other little boys and having so much fun. His teacher told me he was so smart and she was impressed with his talking and how observant he was. I think I almost exploded with happiness. I was so proud!
The next morning he woke up with a fever of 103 and was sick for almost a week with some kind of virus. It was awful, but we got through it and he is currently in week three of day care. He is adapting and already participating in circle time :) He even made a kite! It's his first school craft and I will cherish it forever. He has talked about "school" all week and if you ask him who his friends are he will say Kassie (his teacher) and Bobby (one of the little boys).

No comments:

Post a Comment