Barrett starts Kindergarten in one week. One week until our world changes forever. I know this sounds dramatic, but I changed my entire life to stay home with him and this will be the first time ever he is away from me five days a week. I will never forget the advice I was given in my master's program by the women who were on the verge of retirement. I asked them what they would do differently if they could, and they said they would go back in time and stay home with their babies the first five years. There is always time for work, but babies don't keep. Those years were extremely hard and I'm thankful those types of hardships are in the past, but my heart sinks knowing those long, hard, amazing days are over.
Tonight before bed, he had that look on his face. The look only a mom notices. He said he wanted to talk about school. He asked me many questions wanting to know even the smallest details about his new journey. One question was if the playground would have grass or wood chips. His attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. After talking for a while, he said he had one more thing to say. He said he was a little nervous, and hesitated before telling me that he was scared he would be made fun of by other kids that may not like the same things he likes. He is in a Pokemon phase and has been all Summer. He picks up on the fact that other kids don't obsess over things like he does, and when he asks questions he usually gets the answer "I don't know". He is worried someone will make fun of him for liking Pokemon, but he also said that he might be able to find someone that likes Star Wars. Then he got a big smile and said he might could even find a girl who likes Star Wars. Barrett beats to his own drum, and one thing I wish for him as he starts this new chapter is that he continues to be himself and finds friends who accept him for who he is.
![]() |
| We had a lesson on Albert Einstein tonight after his hair turned into this after his bath. |
| He spent quite a bit of time being creative on his letter board. One lego figure was $2.99 while the other had varying amounts of keys from subway surfer. |


No comments:
Post a Comment