A couple weeks ago, we took Zoey to Cooks Children's hospital to have an ultrasound to rule out a condition (VUR) that she could possibly have that caused her UTI. Our doctor said it was a high probability she has this condition because of how young she is with a UTI. I have been reading all about it and how some babies end up needing surgery or have to be on antibiotics every single day to prevent infection.
The day she got sick was the worst day and it was unbearable to know she was hurting so bad and I couldn't take it away immediately. I put her down for her morning nap to start work and could hear her moaning in her sleep. At first, I thought it was just a cute noise, but after a while I went to check. I decided to just change her diaper and feed her since she was making noises and immediately felt how hot she was. Her temp was 102.9 and she was lethargic. She was younger than three months and normally they would have sent us directly to the hospital. Now, they give this strong dose of antibiotics through a shot and the hospital is only necessary if she isn't drinking her bottles. Thankfully, she was eating great and within five hours of receiving the antibiotics she was acting like herself. She had ten days of antibiotics after this and her appointment was a couple of days after she was finished with the meds. This all happened the week of my birthday and the DAY AFTER I started back to work.
The night before her appointment I broke down and cried...and prayed. There is nothing worse in this world than a child in pain and we've never had to deal with anything like this. Barrett has had a few colds and one virus at 11 months in his whole life. He's been pain free, antibiotic free, and we have felt beyond lucky. My dad offered to come with us and it was very helpful because Steven and I were both able to stay in the room with Zoey while he stayed in the lobby while Barrett played. I fed her a bottle while she was getting the ultrasound done and Steven held her legs. She never made a peep. The next morning our doctor called to say that her results looked perfect and she does not have the condition he was worried about. Relief washed over me knowing that all we have to do is just keep an eye out for any signs of another infection.
 |
| At the doctor the day after. She was doing so well she didn't have to get the second round of shots and was able to start oral antibiotics. A worried Daddy left work to be there for her. |
It's been over a month now with no signs of any repeat infections! Health is taken for granted by healthy people every single day. I've read too many stories lately of people close to us or close to friends who are dealing with children with health problems. I don't know why this happens, but I do know there couldn't be anything worse. If you are the praying kind, pray. If you can afford it, donate.
St. Jude Children's Hospital
RMHC
No comments:
Post a Comment