Monday, March 18, 2013

Movin' On Up

Well, we finally moved Barrett's crib upstairs to his room. Thursday night was the first night he slept in his nursery! It only took almost seven months lol! It was such a bittersweet moment for us. The bitter being that he is no longer in our room and I miss him being right there within arms reach, but it is so nice to have our own room back. Every night since he's been born, and during nap times, we have had to tiptoe around our room, get ready for bed as quietly as possible, and haven't been able to watch tv in our room. The first two nights were a little rough because I was uneasy with him being so far away all night, but he woke up from 12:30-2 AND 5:15 the first night, so I guess I wasn't really away from him all night. We have starting letting him "fuss it out" through the night and it is the hardest thing I've ever done! I really don't believe in the true "cry it out" method because if your baby is screaming, there is usually a need not being met, and honestly it just feels completely wrong for us. There are quite a few new research findings that have found a correlation with babies who were just left alone to cry for long periods of time having increased trust issues. They also will end up crying for no reason. If you meet their needs when they cry, they will learn to cry only when something is wrong. I honestly believe every mom and dad has to do what is best for them and whatever keeps them sane during the crazy period of being new parents. The past couple of nights Barrett has woke up fussing and we have just let him put himself back to sleep. One time he woke up screaming and he had a blow out and had dropped his paci between the crib slats onto the floor...poor baby had a good reason to be upset! I guess our fussing it out method is a lighter, more mild version of crying it out AND it's working for us! He has now gone two nights without us having to feed him and pick him up for him to go back to sleep. When he wakes up, all I want to do is hold him and comfort him, but I know he will always rely on that if we don't change it now. Say a little prayer that I am strong enough to keep this going because it is not easy!   Here's a picture of him asleep in his room for the first time. It was the only one I could get bc I didn't want to wake him up. I'm so proud of my big boy for sleeping in his own room now!




No comments:

Post a Comment